Many years ago when you could only buy plants bare root or balled in burlap, summer planting was a no-no. The shock to the roots was just too great. Now, plants are grown in containers. Containers have essentially eliminated the shock to the roots. Planting in the summer is no longer taboo even though the myth has prevailed. Container plants can be planted any time of the year as long as the ground is not frozen. In the summer, the full flush of growth allows you to better visualize the total effect of a plant. You can see its form along with the color of its foliage or flowers. Perennials and deciduous trees are especially nice to plant in the summer for that reason.
Feel free to plant your trees, shrubs, annuals and perennials this summer!
Here are a few tips for success. Preparation is the key!
• Soak the root ball before planting.
• Dig a hole deeper and twice as wide as the plant’s root ball.
• Fill the hole with water and let it drain
• Mix the soil that came out of the hole with a quality planting mix
• Add the mix back into the hole, enough so the plant’s stem or trunk will not be buried
• Place the root ball into the hole
• Fill the hole with the soil mixture and tamp soil to remove air pockets
• Do no plant your plant deeper than it is planted in the container.
• WATER THOROUGHLY
Your plants will benefit from a generous layer of mulch such as pine bark or cypress mulch. A really great tip for starting any new plant is to use Bonide Root and Grow. This root stimulator gives your newly planted plants energy to grow deep healthy roots from the get go.
A few more tips for your newly planted beauties:
• Watering deep is more important than watering frequencies. 2 or 3 times a week deep watering is plenty for starting your plants in the summer.
• Fertilize your plants about a month after plants. (Use Bonide Root and Grow at time of planting.)
Remember our planting service! We can do the hard work of digging in the red clay for you! We welcome you to come visit our team at The Family Tree! If you need information, direction or help please contact our office by calling 770-972-2470. Make sure to follow-us on Facebook ,Twitter, Google+!