The possibilities are endless with container gardens. You can have fresh flowers anywhere! “Thrillers, Fillers, and Spillers.” What does that mean? Our color specialists know. They can design a beautiful creation just for you! Whether you would like an indoor, patio, front door, or a container garden hanging from a deck, our specialists know what plants and colors work best with each situation. Scroll down for some ideas on how to plant the perfect container garden.
Take a look at our pottery selections. We have thousands of unique pots including Hewell hand crafted terra cotta pottery and Lotus International Pottery, both local companies.
Be Creative with Container Gardens! Fun, Versatile and Colorful
Think of a container garden as if you were following a recipe. By following a simple recipe, planting a container gardens couldn’t be easier. All you need is potting soil, plants, a sturdy container and fertilizer. That said, there are some things about your container that will be helpful to know before you start.
- Make sure your container has enough drainage. One or more drainage holes in the bottom of the pot is crucial to healthy plant growth.
- Cover the holes with coffee filters or paper towels to let water out but keep soil in.
- Elevate the pot with “pot feet”
Picking your plants is the next step…
- Plants for containers are often called “Thrillers, Fillers & Spiller.” Thrillers are the height, fillers fill out the interior and spillers trail over the edge of the pot.
- Choose plants that are appropriate for the amount of sunlight in the area.
- Choose colors and textures that compliment the area.
Before you leave The Family Tree Garden Center:
You will need: Container, potting soil, plants, fertilizer and watering bucket or hose. Be sure to ask one of our experts for help with any part of your planting! We love helping with container gardens!
Choose placement for your thrillers (tall plants) first. Either on the back of the container if it will be against a backdrop, or in the middle of the pot. Add the fillers next then the spillers. Decide placement before you plant. Remember, all of these plants will grow so leave room.
Here are some templates for you to follow with your own selections.
Full Sun Garden
A. Black Sweet Potato
B. Deep Purple Petunia
C. Creeping Jenny
D. Large Lilac Verbena
E. Yellow African Daisy
Container = 16″-20″
A. Varigated Annual Grass
B. “Dragon Wing” Begonia
C. Varigated Ivy
We welcome you to come visit our team at The Family Tree! If you need information, direction or help please contact our office by calling 770-972-2470. Make sure to follow-us on Facebook , Twitter, Google+!